Thursday 22 July 2010

Job Interview Number 1

That is the closest I get to looking smart. I think the hair ruins things but I should have thought about that before the day of my interviews!
Anyway, interview number one is complete. It was possibly the best interview I've ever had, I felt quite relaxed, confident in what I was saying, interested in the job and the company and happy with the way I was coming across.
First of all this firm is on Salford Quays, Salford Quays is Manchester's answer to Canary Wharf really, massive intimidating buildings housing hundreds of high-flying business firms. It is however only a twenty minute walk from my house which is in Old Trafford. Again, very similar to the Canary Wharf situation as Old Trafford is a slightly poorer run down area in close proximity to an affluent business district just as the East End of London is. So initially as I walked up to this massive glass building I felt the nerves creeping in. Was directed up to the office and the nerves slowly drained. Everybody there seemed personable and down to earth. I was then shown into a room, offered a drink and told the interviewee would be with me very soon.

The team leader came in, shook my hand, and off it went. Most interviews seem to drag for me but this one just seemed to fly by. I was told a little about the business, then asked questions about myself, where I saw myself in the future, why I wanted to work for the company, previous employment etc. Then if I had any questions, which I did, I asked why the position had come up, what training would happen. So all was going swimmingly, the interviewer liked that I mentioned how I get to work 10 minutes before each shift to prepare for the day. Then he asked a question right out of the blue "The target wage here for the telemarketer role is £16-18k, what would you expect to be on when you first start?". The major point with this role that the team leader had been trying to impress upon me was that they were looking for someone with lesser experience, who they could train up. So my response was "£16k I suppose, aiming for the wage to rise as I gain more experience and make more money for the business".

At that point the interviewer's face dropped. "Well there's no right or wrong answer for that question, but you shouldn't sell yourself short. We can always negotiate down with your salary, so you start at £18k and then you want to keep yourself at that top level. In future interviews, I'm not saying that you haven't been successful here, but in future interviews never sell yourself short. The right man deserves to receive that right level of pay." So basically, wrong answer! My heart sank completely then.

But who knows, he said they'll contact me either tomorrow or early next week with a result, so my fingers are still firmly crossed. And I also have another interview this afternoon so we'll see how that one goes. I feel slightly more prepared for it after this morning's as well. Going to hurry off now and swat up a little more. Sure there are some rough edges around some answers that I can sort out.

No comments: