Sunday 9 May 2010

Why do we leave the ones we love?

Just returned from a five day visit back to Devon and I'm feeling incredibly homesick. Why do we do this? Why is it that we feel the need to leave the ones we love the most in the world, our families, to go somewhere to make a living?


I could tell you the answer, in fact I will tell you the answer, we leave our families to find a job that we enjoy, find new people to love so that the love is eventually passed down through to another generation. I know this, but it doesn't stop it hurting when you have to leave people behind.

It does clear my mind though, makes me realise how things are going to happen. Whilst I was growing up I always wanted to break out of North Devon. I never knew why but I just wanted to escape. The older I get, the less I feel this way. I do need to stay away for a little longer, until I've returned to uni and got a degree at least, but then I feel more and more that after that I will in fact return there to live. It's such a beautiful corner of the country, once my life is on track and I have a bit more substance behind me I will feel happier about living there, once I know that I've taken on the outside world, found my place in it a little more, I won't feel trapped then like I have in the past.

That said I know I'll always be disatisfied with something or other. For me the grass is always much greener on the other side of the fence, of this I am more than aware.

I'll just spend the rest of the evening wallowing in my homesickness anyway, iron a shirt, maybe shed a tear and then eventually grab some sleep. A hard first day back at work awaits me in the morning. I desperately need to make some sales this week.

No comments: