Saturday 14 May 2011

My new desk

Today I bought myself a nice new desk from Argos and a nice new office chair to go with it. Actually it was the cheapest desk and chair Argos did but they suit me well. Saying that, as I'm typing this the desk is wobbling like crazy, can deal with that though, £32 the lot so can't grumble.

For the past year, since moving into this house, I've not had any kind of desk in my bedroom, when using my computer I've propped myself up against the wall, on my bed, with a pillow behind my head. Maybe this explains my hideous laziness. The past year I have in fact been stuck in some kind of weird lethargy in general, over the past two weeks I have been doing everything possible to consciously snap myself out of it. I had fallen into a junk food takeaway, self pitying, bedridden lull. To combat this I have banned myself from takeaways until the end of the month at least and no more coca cola (I was on three 500ml bottles a day, and I intentionally describe it like a drug, because it is one). I'm not banning myself from junk food in general, I'd just rather be eating captain birdseye's oven cook variety than McDonalds gunk, they have additives in that to turn you into their very own walking dead.

Also I am making myself leave the confines of my room outside of work hours, actually sitting down to watch some tv with my housemates, have a thirty minute conversation with them whilst cooking my tea, I can be an incredibly anti-social creature when I want to be, I can lie in my bed all day and even though I feel much worse after it I never learn. Until now that is.

This desk business, anyway, is supposed to encourage my writing. It already is, it's a much more pleasant experience writing sat at a desk rather than lying down on my bed. I've got this snazzy little iPhone dock as well which I'm blasting my music out from, Metronomy's The English Riviera right now, it's much better for listening to full albums on. Listening to music on my computer just encourages me to jump from track to track, make playlists and just scan through different artists. With this dock it's much easier to just put an album on and leave it playing. Plus I now have Spotify Premium subscription so I literally have access to every record under the sun.

My stomach is growling like crazy tonight. It's not a hunger thing as I've just polished off an Asda create-your-own 10" stuffed crust spicy chicken, pepperoni, ham and bacon pizza and rocky road pudding, it's some weird thing I get, right, about once a week I just get this feeling which completely overcomes me, it's like I feel drunk almost, a bit like a panic attack but it lasts for around 24 hours, and when it dies away it leaves me feeling massively thirsty and my stomach growling and churning like this. I should see a doctor about it really, but when I have the opportunity to make an appointment it never seems at it's worst and it doesn't seem like there's any need. I tend to dismiss all this stuff as psychosomatic as it probably is.

The world seems to be glued to Eurovision right now, I was too busy putting this desk and chair together to take much notice. This Metronomy album's better than Eurovision anyway. I'm going to see them in Ibiza this summer, supporting Friendly Fires. We're going over for my brother's thirtieth birthday with a bunch of his friends, staying at Ibiza Rocks hotel. I'm imagining some kind of Club 18-30 type experience, probably pretty much hell, but I'm up for giving anything a go, probably throw myself into it, sun, swimming pools and music can't be a bad thing really.

It's four minutes to midnight now so I think I'll be getting off. My stomach growls goodbye to you.

No comments: