Sunday 1 August 2010

Documenting Some Nights Out In Manchester

Over the past week I've been on two big drinking binges in Manchester, I am getting used to the city more now and so I need to have a good knowledge of the city's bars and pubs, so this is all acceptable research I would say.

On both days the session has started at the Dry Bar on Oldham Street, I am yet to go there at night and I know it has a bit of a reputation as far as football is concerned but the two times I have been in there it has come across as a decent place. It used to be owned by Peter Hook and still has the Factory decor. The music is good and between 4-7.30 they do a range of 2 for 1 cocktails, alabama slammers and brambles for me, highly recommended drinks.

Both times we spent several hours here. Both times we started there around 4pm, on the first day we left there around 6pm and from there we went to the Wetherspoons at Piccadilly Gardens. We had literally one shot of raspberry sambuca here as it was really busy, in the middle of being refurbished and full of scumbags. Afterwards we stopped in Yates, had a shot of sambuca which came in a test tube, a pint and some cocktail or other, whilst sharing a bowl of nachos. Incidentally I found out that I actually like salsa, jalapeno peppers, sour cream and guacamole through that bowl of nachos.

Next we went on to the Thirsty Scholar on Oxford Road, nice place, nice music, cheap drinks, a very traditional old fashioned looking pub. Here I took a tequila shot which I really shouldn't have, and another pint. For me the night went rather hazy from there but I was informed we went to the Deaf Institute and the Kyoto Lounge which is basically a big cafe/lounge/bar with computer game screens all the way around, apparently I got my ass beat at Street Fighter a fair few times. And then I ended up home around midnight.

On the second day, yesterday, we started at a similar time, same place, same drinks, Kirsty joined us for one for a little break as she is moving flat this weekend. This time we stayed in the northern quarter, we went to a bar called Cord which is literally a small bar with a few booths and a downstairs basement filled with black suede covered loungers. We had a pint in here and then went on to the Walrus bar which has a crazy decor, all turqouise with lit up marble tables. We got another couple of cocktails in here and then moved on to another pub although it's name escapes me right now, across the road to TV21s, I like that place but the girl I was out with knows a load of people there so I was pretty much abandoned as soon as we got there. And finally we went to the Star & Garter which is a great place, but I was fully abandoned there within half an hour so ended up leaving pretty soon.

I am going to end that night there though as there was a whole taxi debacle, driver took me to the middle of nowhere and made me pay him for the pleasure, so I had to spend another hour trying to find my way home again, but as I said I was quite drunk by that point so it will be pretty easy to blank it from my memory.

All in all they were a couple great days of drinking. Here's to many more please, oh fair city of Manchester! I have only skimmed the surface of discovering Manchesters drinking venues, this excites me a lot.

No comments: